Sunday, February 06, 2005

dream darshan

At dawn on Sunday, February 6, on our last morning in Benares, city of Shiva, this dream came to me:

I am walking down the ghats toward the Ganges. The steps are high and steep. Just below me sits a naked sadhu, his dreadlocks flowing onto the stairs. As I walk down, I step on one of them. The instant my foot touches the knotted hair, I realize that it is a snake!

I wake abruptly, energy surging through me. The arch of my foot is still cold from the touch of the snake's icy skin.

"I have to go down to the river now!" I tell Roxanne, who is sleeping soundly.

two boats

The dream draws us both to the river, where we finally say yes to one of the ever-present boat wallahs . We light candles and leave them floating across the river in flower-filled clay bowls.

four candles

It is light when we return. I can still feel the energy imparted by the dream.

boats and swimmers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home