Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Assi Ghat, Benares

When I asked Chris to set this blog up for me it never occurred to me that would have so little contact with my old world on this trip - but since we arrived in Delhi four days ago, we've done so much that my imagined quick stops at internet cafes here and there vanished into the everpresent crowds.

Now we are staying at the Sahi River View Guest House, right on the Ganges. Roxanne lived a few doors down while she was doing the research for her disseration a few years ago, in the hostel for foreign visitors (mostly hippies) that Jayant set up and ran in the early 70's, Ganga Math .

stairs and doorway to Ganga Math

The experience of being in India is even richer than I expected, multi-layered and intricate, like the illuminations in medieval books. We came to Delhi first, where we stayed with Jayant for two nights. Jayant's father, who was a very wonderful man, died just a week before, and much of my time was taken in just listening. But Jayant was a wonderfully generous host, having us taken around the city in his car, taking us out to eat in Vandana Shiva's organic cafe

at Vandana Shiva's cafe, New Delhi

and to shop at FabIndia, where we bought beautiful kurtas, scarves and pants.

Early the next morning we met Christian and Martine, who had just arrived from France and took the train to Bareilly, where Ganesh Baba is buried, but the details of that trip deserve more time than I care to spend in this carrell.

My love to you all, Eve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home